“Stola Twister” Shawl Wrap
My Stola Twister is a shawl wrap with lace effect made with irregular shapes of short rows. I made it with a color-changing yarn but it can be made with different colors combined.
Increases at the end and decreases at the beginning of every right side forms a long and just a little bit asymmetrical rectangular shape.
The pattern is made by triangles of short rows and lace effect stripes.
Clicca qua per la versione in Italiano
Yarn: 1 Cake of 250gr (1.000 mt – 1094 yards) Twister from Hobbii (55% Cotton + 45% Acrylic)
Needle Size: US 6 – 4.0 mm
1 Marker and 1 Rev Counter
Click here for a quick video presentation of my project (only in Italian at the moment but you can see how the shawl look like)
Increases at the end and decreases at the beginning of every right side forms a long and just a little bit asymmetrical rectangular shape. This way, when worn, it will have a sidelong effect and will be more elastic and soft. It will also form 2 pointed shapes at extremities… very nice!
I also made a lot of trial to be sure that the color will change right at the end of every right short rows triangle so that the irregular shape of this shawl is accentuated also by color changing. If you use another yarn or another needle size or simply if you find that the way you work is more loose or tight than mine… you only need to make more or less rows with “Verbena” stitch.
We repeat the following 4 patterns until the end of the yarn or at desired length:
1 Triangle formed by left short rows
1 Stripe of Verbena Stitch about 16 – 18 rows
1 Triangle formed by right short rows
1 Stripe of Verbena Stitch about 16 – 18 rows
With the second repetition of Verbena Stitch, we need to finish all the color we are using so that we will start and finish next triangle with a new color.
Pattern: (Scroll Down for PDF)
- Cast on 110 stitch and purl first row
- Now we start the first left short rows triangle. This first triangle will have a color changing near the end because there is the cast on that won’t be in next triangle.
From next repetition all left short rows triangles will be in only one color.
For this triangle I used “Rombi” Pattern.
I chose 3 different pattern for my triangles, at the bottom of this page you will find full pattern to download.
At this link you find explication of how to work left short rows (only in Italian at the moment but you can see pictures and video)
At this link you find explication of “Rombi” Pattern (only in Italian at the moment but you can see pictures and video)
- After recovering all stitches, we will make 16 rows of “Verbena” stitch. As explained before, we will make 16 rows only for this first time. At the end of this stripe, we should have used half of new color.
From next repetition of this point 3, we will always make 18.
Now you can choose if you prefer the “easier” way (the one I used) of the “expert” way:
With easier way you will have all right short rows triangle in 2 colors and finish the second color at the end of point 5 of this scheme.
With expert way you need to cut the yarn at the end of each “Verbena” stitch and use the remaining on point 5 of this scheme.
At this link you find explication of “Verbena” stitch
- Now we start one right short rows triangle. All right sr triangles will have a color changing near the middle. (if you don’t use “expert” way (see point 3)
For this triangle I used “Trina” Pattern.
At this link you find explication of how to work Right short rows (only in Italian at the moment but you can see pictures and video)
At this link you find explication of “Trina” Pattern (only in Italian at the moment but you can see pictures and video)
and at this link “Tulipani” Pattern
- Now we will work 16 or 18 rows of Verbena stitch, until we finish all the color we are using. (see point 3 for details)
- Now we repeat from point 2 to point 5 until you finish all yarn or you reach desired length.
That’s the way I alternate patterns:
Rombi Pattern (Left short row)
Trina Pattern (Right short row)
Tulipani Pattern (Left short row)
Rombi Pattern (Right short row)
Trina Pattern (Left short row)
Tulipani Pattern (Right short row)
and again from beginning…
- After last triangle I had my last color so I needed to decide how to finish my shawl. You have 4 options (I recommend the first 2):
– The one I used: I made only 8 rows of Verbena Stitch and than I made a small right short row triangle decreasing 4 stitches instead of 3 at each short row. This way you use all last color but you also need to modify pattern ( Rombi Pattern is quite easy to be modified)
– You can stop now without using last color (the shawl is long enough)
– Just work 18 rows of Verbena Stitch (I don’t recommend this solution because the shawl will look nicer with triangles on both extremities)
– You can work a Left short row triangle without the Verbena Stitch in the middle (I don’t like this solution either)
- Close all stitches
Please find complete English Pdf patterns and instructions